A blog for the all the retro nostalgia inside of us. Come here for great posts about different action figures, video games, movies, music, and more..

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Panosh Combat Commandos

Panosh Combat Commandos

 photo CCcard_zpsb8ca85d2.png

The 1980's were a prime era for military action figures. Although G.I. Joes were the most popular, there were also some awesome obscure lines that I remember from my childhood. Mattel GUTS which I featured before  was one of them

Another awesome assortment of military mini figures is the COMBAT COMMANDOS line by panosh place. When I was younger I obviously didn't know who made them, but my brothers and I had quite a few of them, but they are mostly all lost. I did, however, keep two of them, but I did not know where they were stored. As the years went by, I thought about them from time to time, and always wondered who made them and how I could get some more. For a time I thought that they were Soma military figures and even bought some on eBay. After receiving the Soma figures however, I realized they weren't the figures I was looking for, because they didn't swivel at the waist, and they were flexible rubber. The figures I was thinking of were harder plastic.


  Soma Rubber Military Figures
   photo 100_1134600x450_zps15d5f7d2.jpg

Last Easter while at my parents house I was searching through my boxes and came across the two that I had saved from a possible tragic demise of adolescent destruction. I quickly learned that Panosh place made them and they had a date stamp of 1987.

Childhood Combat Commandos
 photo panoshchildhood600x400_zps1cdbf4c6.jpg

Once I had a manufacturer name and date. I searched on google and there was actually hardly any information on these little guys. I also  searched eBay for some more, but for several months I couldn't find any auctions worth buying. (some were quite expensive for very few figures.) Then last summer I hit a jackpot, because there was a seller on eBay with 2 seperate auctions. He had one auction with new carded 2 packs and another with an open 2 pack with the backer card. I had the highest bid on both and scored. The packaging is awesome, and now I have plenty for my collection. These have hardly shown up on eBay since then, and I doubt they will pop up often.
Combat Commandos on the card




 photo IMG_4001600x450_zpsfea56a52.jpg






 photo IMG_4003600x450_zps0ad52f0d.jpg
Released from their plastic prison
 photo IMG_4008600x450_zpse8a07dad.jpgrr

 photo IMG_4010600x450_zpsc1d1794f.jpg  photo IMG_4011600x450_zps2dc56427.jpg
All of them together

  photo IMG_4004600x450_zpsda85ad28.jpg
Overall these figures are fantastic pieces of nostalgia, but kids these days would mostly be bored by them because they don't "do anything".

2 comments:

  1. Real fun post! Glad to see some more infos about those - I'm a big fan of Mattel's GUTS!, which are really close to those military guys, and searched for a long while before getting any tidbits about them.

    I got myself a few, the first at the odd end of GUTS! figure lot, but quickly gre fond of those chubby army guys ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting that their weapons appear to be based on Hasbro 3 3/4" GI JOE ones

    ReplyDelete